Monday 8 April 2013

My Most Requested Cookies: Ginger Snaps

Mmmmmm, this cookie is heaven in a bite! I love baking these cookies. The smell of the browned butter, the raw cookie dough, and the aroma which emanates from the oven...my neighbours troop in when these are in progress. Please, even if you don't try any of my other recipes, please, try this one.

These cookies are spicy and crunchy. I love the heat, but feel free to reduce the ginger and pepper.

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter (170g)
2 tablespoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon crushed pepper
1 1/4 cups brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup golden syrup
2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
1 whole egg plus 1 yolk


Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together in bowl. Heat butter in a pot until melted. Reduce the heat and continue to cook, until butter begins to brown. Remove from heat and mix in ground ginger, pepper, cinnamon, and cloves. Add brown sugar, golden syrup, and fresh ginger and mix to combine. Add eggs and mix. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Spoon dough into plastic wrap and freeze for 20 minutes.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Use a tablespoon to spoon out the dough; roll into balls. Space the balls on prepared baking sheets (these cookies spread like wildfire!). Flatten the balls slightly with your palm. Bake for 12 minutes, rotating the sheets 180 degrees after 6 minutes.

Eat or, if you can (and that's a big IF), store in airtight containers after cooling for 10 minutes.

Enjoy.

If I can, you can,

Deema.


































2 comments:

  1. Do you remember me? You made my wedding cake, Feb 16th. We loved it, thanks. But I want to ask why you haven't put any of your wedding cake pictures up. Pls do (especially mine o). I'm sure it will get you more clients. Pls continue what you are doing, may Allah bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Amira. Of course I remember you. It was such a delight working with you and your mum. Thanks for the review. Em, as for the cake pictures, I intend to do that when my website is complete. I'll create a wedding cake gallery to showcase the cakes, yours will surely feature. 

    ReplyDelete