Saturday 24 August 2013

Unripe Plantains with Simple Lamb Tomato Sauce

Hiiiiii. I've been working on a new set of recipes.
It's time to give you some insight to my life. I've been perfectly happily married for almost 4 years now. Well, almost perfectly happy except for one thing, my husband and I have been trying to have babies for most of the time we've been married. We haven't had any luck...yet.

I've been pregnant a couple of times, but have never carried to term. All that is about to change. After some encouragement from some people dear to me, I started some research and found out that a lot of women who, like me, had been trying to get pregnant, did so successfully after major diet changes. So I'm doing that now.
From now on, it will be hard for you to find recipes with sugar and white flour on this blog. I'm making major changes to my diet, and hopefully will help some people to make changes to theirs too. Every recipe from now on will be primarily made up of foods that will be beneficial to fertility; male and female.

Also, I want to show that a fertility diet doesn't have to be bland and tasteless. Fats are a must for fertility, so never fear, there'll be lots of deliciousness going on.
These recipes will also be beneficial for pregnant and nursing women. Basically, for everybody, apart from people with specific allergies (you don't have to be trying to conceive to enjoy these recipes). If any recipe isn't pregnancy friendly, I will let you know (yup, there are some fertility friendly foods that pregnant women should steer clear of, as it might not be beneficial to the Baby).

Now you know me, and I hope that, soon, you'll get to know my babies as well.
Unripe Plantains are rich in iron so they are beneficial to everyone, especially men and women who are trying to conceive and pregnant and nursing women. They are a quick source of energy and have been found to increase sperm count and quality.
That is not to say that we should suffer through a boring meal of just boiled Plantains (yuck). I, personally, do not need my meal to taste like medicine; I already take plenty of those, lol!

Ingredients -This serves 5. (very filling meal)

4 Unripe Plantains
1 medium red onion
7 medium tomatoes
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
250g of lamb, chopped
8 habanero chilies
2 1/2 teaspoons of salt
1 inch piece of ginger

Method
Slice peppers, onions, tomatoes, and ginger.
In a medium sized pot, put lamb, half of the sliced peppers, half of the sliced onions, ginger and 2 teaspoons of salt. Add 6 cups of water and cook on medium-high heat till the lamb is cooked.
Slice the Plantains into 1 inch rounds. Remove the lamb and all particles from the lamb stock. Add the sliced Plantains to the stock and cook till Plantains are very soft, about 20 minutes.
While the plantains are cooking, add coconut oil to a pan on medium-high heat. Add the tomatoes, the remaining salt, onions and peppers. Cook for 7 minutes, stirring at intervals. Add the lamb, stir and take off heat.
Remove the plantains from the stock and transfer to a large bowl. Reserve the stock. Mash the plantains, adding tablespoonfuls of the stock till you reach your desired consistency.
Serve with the tomato sauce.

Enjoy, and remember,

It's sooo good for you


Deema






9 comments:

  1. Deema, u r soooooo sooooooooo blessed. This is gonna be dinner 2nyte. I told hubby yday to expect his menu to change. I often hv a problem deciding what to make. Now!..... This is sooooo coool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My one n only Lizzytooooooo. Thank u jare. Try it and lemme know how it went. Plenty more diet changes coming up o!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deema, yummy, yummy !!!!!!!. Thanks for switching over to fertility friendly diet. Will try dis soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is well with you Deema, God almighty will grant you your heart desire!!! yes a change of diet with plenty prayers and medical consultation will do the miracle.Can't wait to meet your little one. God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  5. @muma, it's for my good now. I had to switch o.
    @amaka, Amen! I have the utmost faith that God will do it soon. Fingers crossed, He was only waiting for me to change my way of eating. Thank you for the prayer, I'm very grateful

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am baaaaccCk! Thanks for the meal. Dh's kudos shd actually go to u. Was initially skeptical abt mashing the plantain but decided to go all the way. Couldn't find coconut oil so I substituted wt almond oil..nice! Used turkey instead of lamb. Nextstop...oathmeal! Yippeee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *dancing joyfully* hmmmm, turkey sounds delightful! I'm glad u enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job. Weldone!

    ReplyDelete