Tuesday 8 October 2013

Plantains, Cod, and Greens

I love dried cod (Okporoko) with a passion! It's in my Igbo DNA. I don't think any soup is complete without it. It has a unique smell (phew) and taste. I love it so much that it's a snack food for me sometimes.

This recipe was easy to make, and the cod paired very well with the greens and plantains. Don't take my word for it, just make it and see!

This recipe is fertility-friendly, pregnancy-friendly, lactation-friendly, and can be adapted to be kid-friendly (use mashed ripe plantains instead).

Ingredients

4 medium green plantains
300g dried cod
1 medium red onion, sliced
3 large tomatoes, diced
5 atarodo (habanero), diced
500g Amaranth leaves, chopped
2 tablespoons of almond oil
1 tablespoon of curry powder
Double stock cube
1 teaspoon of salt

Method

Soften and wash the cod by soaking in boiling water for 10 minutes. Rinse well with cold water.

Boil the plantains with their skins on (just easier to peel the skins off after boiling, thanks for the tip mum!) till done, about 20 minutes. Peel, dice and set aside.

To a wok on medium-high heat, add almond oil. Leave for 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes, pepper, onions, and curry powder. Stir fry for 5 minutes. Add the plantains and cod. Stir for 1 minute.

Add the amaranth leaves, stock cube and salt. Stir to combine. Cook for 3 minutes.

Serve and enjoy

Remember, it's sooo good for you,
Deema.













12 comments:

  1. So healthy and inviting..am making this for dinner. Thks dear and pls keep it up.
    Jesus4ever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your visit. Please come again.

      Delete
  2. my mum always made this. never knew it had all this benefits. will try it this weekend.
    molola!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's actually very nutritious, not just for ttc

      Delete
  3. hehehe........Deema this food eh my hubby will so love it!!! it just like ji abubo(yam vegetable you know what i mean).....will try it out but i will use palm oil to give it that local taste because of the oporoko.
    Well done dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ji Abubo...don't remind me please! I love it with sweet old yam and Ukpaka. Yum!

      Delete
  4. Wow! So trying this tomorrow.. Welldone dear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deema, well done , trying it tonite but will use palm oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear, but if you can, try this version. You will love it

      Delete
  6. Thanks ladies. I'm glad you checked in. I really liked the coconut oil version because it's lighter and you get just a hint of coconuts. Please try it exactly as it is, and I'm sure you'll affirm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prepared it with coconut oil, its so nice . Thanks deema, will prepare it for DH when next he visits

    ReplyDelete