Friday 27 September 2013

Cauliflower Pizza Crust a.k.a the pizza that was not to be

Hiiiii. I've seen variations of this pizza crust floating around the blogosphere. I wasn't interested in trying it cos I figured I could get the real thing anytime I wanted. I also didn't trust it to taste good, so I kept skipping it. Since I started this WOE, I've been craving pizza so I decided to try this and just get it out of the way.

Truth be told, even though I tweaked the recipe, I was a little (actually a LOT) wary of this crust when I was making it. I just figured that I would use all the cheese and topping to mask the taste if it turned out awful.

Boy, was I wrong! As you can see from the pictures below, I set outa bunch of things to top my pizza crust with, but I never got to use them. As soon as the crust came out of the oven, DH and I decided to steal pinches from the crust to see if it was any good.

To cut a long story short, we ate the whole crust straight from the oven, while standing in the kitchen. It was THAT good. Yummmmmmmmmm! I actually don't think I'm going to ever bother topping this crust, I'll just keep eating only the crust.

Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable; broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts are also included in that family. Consumption of these vegetables is linked to low rates of prostate cancer. Cauliflower is a good source of Omega-3, folate, Vitamins C, B-6 and B-12. How can you say no to that?

Preggies are not left out (congratulations!) as cauliflower is rich in fibre. I know how essential fibre is in a pregnant woman's diet...constipation, anyone?

Please make this, and enjoy it.

Ingredients

500g of cauliflower
1 egg
1 teaspoon of oregano
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of ginger powder
2 wedges of light cheese (room temperature)
1/2 teaspoon of salt

Method

Preheat oven to 350.
Cut out the cauliflower florets and wash thoroughly. Grate or process the cauliflower till it resembles breadcrumbs.

Put the cauliflower in a pot, and set it over medium heat. Leave it for 4 minutes, the cauliflower will release some liquid.

Transfer the cauliflower to a tea towel, and, as soon as it's cool enough to handle, squeeze the life out of it ( just as hard as you can to remove all the liquid you can).

Put the cauliflower in a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Mix to combine. Grease a sheet of wax paper and put the cauliflower on it. Use your hands to press the cauliflower into the shape of a pizza crust (not too thick or too thin) then bake for 10-12 minutes.

If you can make it past this stage, add your choice of toppings and bake for an additional 7 minutes.

Enjoy, and remember,
It's sooo good for you.

Deema
















No comments:

Post a Comment