Monday 9 September 2013

Coconut Jollof Rice and Cowtail Gravy.

I'm an unrepentant foodie to the core! If loving good food is a crime, please lock me up and throw away the keys (don't even bother with a trial). This recipe examplifies my love of food.

I just had to find a way to combine two wholesome, tasty meals into one healthy, delicious, fertility-friendly meal. If you aren't like me, you can serve your cowtails with white rice, couscous, bulgur, pretty much anything you like. Or you can serve the rice with fish or chicken.

Now, to the nutrition...did you know that bone broth is a 'treatment' for infertility? Well, neither did I, until I started eating this way. Apparently, when bones are cooked down, all the nutrients from the bone marrow-calcium, magnesium, potassium, etc- seep into the broth, making it one of the most nutrient-dense foods you can consume.

Bone broth, while being good for all men and women who are trying to conceive, is particularly helpful for women who have PCOS, as the nutrients in the bone marrow promote thyroid health.

If I still haven't piqued your interest with all the above, I'm sure I will now- the gelatin in bone broth is proven to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and cellulite. AHA! I've got you now! I can see you rushing to your freezer to bring out ALL the bones you have...cool down!

I chose cowtails because they contain more gelatin and juicy marrow than most bony cuts of meat.

Extra: in your quest for bone broth, pepper soup is fine! You can use chicken bones, cow, goat, anything!

Nutrition aside, this meal is hecka tasty...you're making it, period!



Ingredients for Cowtail Gravy

1.5 kg of cowtail, cut into 2-inch chunks.
2 juicy tomatoes, diced
1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons of freshly ground atarodo (habanero)
2 tablespoons of freshly ground onions
1 teaspoon of mustard seeds, ground
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon of dried basil
1 14oz can of chickpeas, rinsed (totally optional!)
1/2 teaspoon of worcestershire sauce (optional)
2 teaspoons of salt
2 teaspoons of garlic powder
2 large carrots, peeled and diced
3 tablespoons of cornflour, mixed with 2 tablespoons of water to make a slurry


Coconut Jollof Rice

3 cups of rice, washed and parboiled
3 tablespoons of coconut oil
3 tablespoons of freshly ground atarodo(habanero) and onions
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
5 cups of coconut milk
2 Knorr double stock cubes
1 teaspoons of salt
1 bay leaf


Method-Cowtail Gravy

Place the cowtails in a pressure cooker on medium-high heat. Add all ingredients except chickpeas and carrots. Add enough water to just cover the cowtails. Cover and cook for 45 minutes.

Open the pot after letting the pressure come down (don't cover the pot again!). Reduce heat to medium-low, add the carrots. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the chickpeas and the cornstarch slurry. Simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.


Coconut Jollof Rice

To a pot on medium-high heat, add the oil. After 30 seconds, add the tomatoes, pepper paste and bay leaf. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
Pour the coconut milk in. Add salt and stock cubes. Stir and bring to boil.
Pour in the parboiled rice. Cook till all the water is gone. Fluff with a fork and remove from heat. Serve with cowtail gravy and YUM!

Enjoy, and remember,
it's sooo good for you!

Deema







7 comments:

  1. Yaay.......made same thing over the weekend but with spaghetti and chicken. yummy Nice one Deema

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we're kindred spirits o! I liked this so much, I'm make a spaghetti version tonight, but with prawns...are you sure I can wait till tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so much love coconut rice, i have being longing to tell γ̲̣̣̥☺U̶̲̥̅̊ about it but just dat ricE isn't good for weightloss. I love dis food but i prepare mine with chicken. Will try buying cowtail dis evening after work and if i don't see, i will buy bones lol, its a must prepare. Kudos to you Deema.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol @muma. Seriously share, buy them. Boil them down and reserve the excess broth in your freezer to use as pepper soup. Or just chop carrots and other veggies and throw inside and eat.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, i must try it out, i am salivating already at work, lol. Deema no kill person Oo°˚˚˚°!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nna mehn! You are the lady! CHOI! You too much. Cowtail don hear am for my hand o. Since the day I tasted broth from pressure pot na Iim I know say pressure pot must remain in my kitchen. Thanks for this tip. Please how can I get original cocount oil for cooking and is it of such great benefit?
    Thank you soon much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol @AT. I love my pressure cooker o, I'm always looking for excuses to use it.

    Per coconut oil, I don't really know o. I order mine online and have it delivered. I will ask around for you, will let you know if I find.

    Per the benefits, read this http://natural-fertility-info.com/coconut-oil-necessary-for-building-hormones-and-a-healthy-baby.html

    ReplyDelete