Monday 1 July 2013

Basic Egusi Soup

This is as basic as Egusi (melon seed) soup can get. It doesn't have a whole list of hard-to-find ingredients, but it packs a punch in the taste department. This soup has to be my favourite native soup, although I seldom eat it because of the fat content. The longest time this soup takes is the time required to boil the meat. Pair this with whole wheat meal and enjoy!

Ingredients
1kg of beef, cut into 2-inch chunks
1 cup of egusi
200g of okporoko (dried cod), washed soaked in hot water
4 tablespoons of blended atarodo (habanero). You can use less, if you like
2 knorr double stock cubes
2 teaspoons of salt
1/3 cup of ground dried crayfish
2 cups of chopped pumpkin leaves
1/3 cup of palm kernel oil
5 cups of water

Method
Put meat in a pot, add salt, knorr cubes, blended pepper and water. Set on medium-high heat and cook for 20 minutes.
Remove okporoko (cod) from hot water and add to the pot. Add crayfish too. Stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add palm oil. Cover pot and cook for 3 minutes.
Add egusi, stir. Leave to cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring at intervals (egusi might burn if not).
Add chopped leaves, stir and remove from heat immediately.
Enjoy!

If I can, you can,

Deema.















3 comments:

  1. U can actually reduce the fat content by replacing a portion of the oil with tomato puree or tomato paste (I actually prefer tomato paste because it gives it that deep red color) and there's no sacrifice in taste. U would hardly notice it. That way you can keep enjoying egusi soup. I enjoy the versatility of the soup too. It can be used as swallow or with white rice. I prefer mine with washed bitterleaf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could kiss you, Chinwe! Yes, I do love egusi with bitterleaf, the recipe above is pretty basic. At one point should I add the tomato paste? Now I can enjoy egusi more frequently. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prepare my egusi by first putting 1 1/2 - 2tbsp oil into a hot pot along with the tomato paste and then the egusi. I cook it for about 2 minutes or less just to get everything well blended then add water and the remaining ingredients. No one can even tell I added tomato paste to it. people who have tasted it seem to like it alot

    ReplyDelete