Saturday 27 July 2013

Cowtail Infused Black Eyed Peas

I call this dish infused because I used a pressure cooker to make it. See, when you cook in a pressure cooker, no flavour is lost. In this case, the fat from the cow tail permeated the beans and made them taste like heaven. Everything was almost butter-soft. The meat was moist and tender, the beans were full of flavour.

I came about this dish in a lazy phase. I just threw everything into the cooker and I'm glad I did. Did I hear someone say staple?

Ingredients
2 cups of dried black-eyed peas (white beans)
500g washed cowtail, cut into chunks
1/4 cup of palm oil
3 tablespoons of freshly blended habanero (atarodo)
1 Knorr double stock cube
1 medium red onion

Method
1. Pick and wash the beans.
2. Throw them in a pressure cooker with everything but the palm oil.
3. Add enough water to just cover everything.
4. Close the pressure cooker and place on medium-high heat. Once the pot comes to pressure, continue cooking for 40 minutes.
5. Take pot off heat and leave to cool for about 20 minutes before opening (you can also place the pot under cold running water till the pressure valve drops)
6. When it's safe to open the pot, do so and add the palm oil. Put pot back on medium-high heat, but don't cover.
7. Simmer for 7 minutes. Take off heat and serve.

If I can, you can,

Deema




3 comments:

  1. Will be making ds 2mrw, with some tweeks cos of DH's like and dislikes. Instead of Cowtail, I'll use cow head and maybe add some potatoes cos he likes his beans with something. What do u think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizzy, I had a full reply written, just realised I didn't post it. I'm so sorry. I wanted to say if you are using potatoes, you should boil them separately then add them when you are adding the oil. The potatoes might turn to mush if you put them in with the beans because the cooking times for the 2 are different.
    You can try opening the pressure cooker halfway into the cooking time (after it has cooled down sufficiently) and add the raw potatoes, then close and continue cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry done. Not bad sha. Will try it again with these adaption. Still tastes good though. L
      I like the fact that it is laziness inspired. Being lazy all day but iced a small cake. Will send u pictures later.

      Delete