Monday 1 July 2013

Vegetable Fried Rice with Oven Fried Chicken

This chicken recipe is one I love! Whenever I need to fool myself and pretend I'm counting calories, I turn to this recipe. I fool myself like that sometimes.

To be honest, this chicken isn't low-calorie. It's simply a less messy way to make southern fried chicken. It's also a little less calorific than basic southern fried chicken, as this is sans breadcrumbs and is not deep fried. That said, this chicken IS coated in flour, and you do have to put some oil in a baking pan with the chicken.

The fried rice is as basic as can be. I use basmati rice to cut the cooking time drastically. This rice can be on your table in as little as 20 minutes.

Ingredients
1kg, chicken
1 cup, flour
3 teaspoons, paprika, divided.
3 teaspoons, salt (divided into 2 teaspoons and 1 teaspoon)
2 tablespoons, cayenne pepper
5 tablespoons, olive oil (divided into 2 and 3 tablespoons)
1 medium red onion, chopped
2 scotch bonett peppers, chopped
1/3 cup, vegetable oil
2 cups, carrot, chopped
1 cup, cabbage, chopped
2 cups, green beans, chopped
2 cups, basmati rice
2 Knorr double stock cubes
Salt, to taste

Method.

1. Make a marinade for the chicken: in a bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil, cayenne pepper, 2 tsp of salt and 1 Knorr double stock cube. Marinate the chicken and refrigerate for 1 hour. Boil rice till soft and fluffy, about 15 minutes.

2.Preheat oven to 350F. In another bowl, combine flour, 2 tsps of paprika, and 1 tsp of salt. Remove the chicken from the marinade and coat in the flour, piece by piece.

3. Pour vegetable oil into a baking dish, place the coated chicken in the dish, leaving some space between the pieces. Bake for 45 minutes.

4. In a wok or pot, pour the 3 tbsps of olive oil, add all the vegetables and pepper, and stir fry. Add the remaining stock cube and 1 twp of paprika. Pour in the cooked rice and stir till combined. Taste for salt, and salt to taste. Serve with the chicken. I added some basic coleslaw.

If I can, you can,

Deema















7 comments:

  1. Dreamsinbc...nice one.am tryn dis for wknd.keep it up. Oct 20

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Oct 20, I'm very sure you'll enjoy it. Thanks dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive been looking for a different fried rice recipe. Im going to try this one. Thanks for posting it (And thank you for the sweet comment on my blog)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @LAAC, please try it. You'll like it. And I love reading your blog. I thank God for your strength and for your family. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm already salivating o! PleaSe where can I get soft chicken in abuja? The ones I ve been buying in the market have been quite tough. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shade, I'm glad I tickle your taste buds, hee hee! I buy whole frozen chicken from zartech, I come home and cut up. But you can ask for 'orobo soft' in the market. Check Kado fish market.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually thought of zartech but I wasn't sure if they do retail. I will check then. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete