Tuesday 23 July 2013

Concoction Rice with Lemon Pepper Tilapia

I came up with this recipe after picking up a frozen seafood cocktail that contained octopus and squid. Prior to this recipe, I had never tried octopus, and, to be honest, getting dh to take the first bite was a chore. When he did, though, his plate emptied very quickly.
The octopus is really tender, this is definitely something that will become more regular around here.
Feel free to leave out the octopus and squid; you can just use shrimp and calamari.

Ingredients
2 cups of Basmati rice
2 medium Tilapia, cut into steaks, head removed
400g of seafood cocktail
14oz can of baby button mushrooms, drained and rinsed
14oz can of whole peeled tomatoes
3 tablespoons of freshly blended habanero chilies (atarodo)
1 large red onion, diced
5 cloves of garlic, grated
2-inch piece of ginger, grated
2 teaspoons of curry powder
2 teaspoons of lemon Pepper seasoning
1 teaspoon of paprika
3 tablespoons of butter
2 teaspoons of salt

Method
Preheat oven to 350.
Melt butter in a pot over low heat. Remove from heat, add paprika, lemon-pepper, and 1 teaspoon of salt.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place fish on sheet and pour butter mixture over to coat. Bake for 25 minutes, turning after 10 minutes.
In a large pot on high heat, pour tomatoes, onions, garlic, ginger, blended pepper, curry powder, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Use a wooden spoon to pulverise the tomatoes (yep, I said Pulverise!). Reduce heat to medium-high and leave to cook for 15 minutes. Wash the rice till the water runs clear.
Add 4 cups of water to the tomato sauce, pour the washed rice in and stir. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
Add the seafood mix and the mushrooms, stir, cover and cook for another 5 minutes. Serve with the Tilapia. Enjoy!
If I can, you can,






Deema.

5 comments:

  1. Sea foods huh, wish i can

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear you are on your own with this octopus and squid thing oh!!!!
    Love your courage,
    your DH pitied you, if i were he, you would join fasting with praying before i take the first and only bite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Muma, don't you like seafood? Or can't you get any? Let me know.
    @Amaka, I almost died with laughter at your comment. Haba, y na? I just wish you could try it. It was nice! Infact, I have more in my freezer now, just looking for ways to use them. As for DH, hmm, he has tasted worse things from my kitchen; he's my official taster. LMAO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I commented but didn't see Τ̣̣ђё post . A̶̲̥̅♏ not so much in love with sea food xcept fish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww, pls allow me to change your mind. Shrimps nko?

    ReplyDelete