Friday 19 July 2013

Ugba

This is one of my favourite dishes in the whole world (the other is Ukwa-breadfruit porridge). This is a hot dish, as in peppery. As in, not Indian or Mexican peppery, Naija style! When I was still living with my parents, my mum would make this for me about once a month. She doesn't think it's a meal, it's more like an appetiser, so she would make small quantities. I, on the other hand, will happily eat a bucketful of this (heehee).

A little aside on my mum, she's the best cook in the whole world. I know everyone says that, but, if there was a best Mum Cooking competition, my mum would totally kick butt! She makes wicked Nigerian dishes, but she also taught me to experiment with foreign foods as well. My aim is to cook like her one day, also to look like her at her age! Hugs and kisses, Mum!

Ingredients
400g of Ukpaka (sliced oil bean)
1/3 cup of ground, dried crayfish
1 cup of sliced cowhide (Pomo, kanda), cooked
300g of boiled Okporoko (dried cod)
1/2 cup of palm oil
1 Knorr double stock cube
5 scotch bonnet peppers (did I mention this is a HOT dish?) feel free to deseed them to reduce heat
1/2 teaspoon of ground Akaun (potash)
1 wrap of Ogili (... need help with English name)
3 green garden eggs (optional)
1/4 cup of chopped Utazi leaves (optional)

Method
1. Pound the pepper finely in a mortar (ain't no other way baby!, kidding, but any other way spoils the groove jo!)
2. Add the palm oil and mix to combine.
3. Put the Akaun in a small bowl, add a tablespoon of warm water and stir.
4. Add the Akaun ,ixture to the palm oil, stir. The palm oil should get thicker and should turn yellow.
5. Crumble the stock cube finely and add to the mix;add Ogili and stir thoroughly
6. Add the crayfish, pomo, ukpaka, and Okporoko. Stir well and taste for salt. If you like hot Ugba, transfer to a pot and heat.
To serve, cut the garden eggs into wedges and serve on top of the Ugba. Garnish with Utazi










2 comments:

  1. Why are we not best friends yet? I am dying for that Ugba salad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oo°˚˚˚°! Dinma, so so so sweet, Dh loves Τ̣̣ђё dish so much but with much garden egg leaves. I D̶̲̥̅̊ prepare it twice in a month . Never knew pple likes it, lol. Keep it up girl . Kudos to ur mama!!!!

    ReplyDelete